2016 Assessment Appeals Committee
2016 Assessment Appeals Process and Guidelines
Below are the guidelines that will govern the assessment appeals process for 2016. These guidelines have been approved by Executive Council. If you wish to appeal for assessment relief please carefully review the guidelines to determine if your congregation qualifies and meets all requirements of the guidelines. Please note that the assessment appeals process applies to parishes only. Missions and congregations supported by Area Ministries must make appeals to the Executive Council through the Congregational Development Committee contact Eric Metoyer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Steps to appeal your assessment:
- If you plan to appeal, please notify Chip Larrimore (contact information below) as soon possible.
- Submit the following items in support of your appeal:
- A written statement of explanation for your appeal providing the dollar amount of relief you are requesting. The statement must demonstrate how the assessment appeals guidelines are met and give detailed responses to items 1-5 of the “Process” section of the guidelines.
- Parochial reports for 2014 and 2015.
- Complete year-end financial statements and annual reports for 2014 and 2015, including statements of all fund balances.
- Projected 2016 budget.
- Vestry approved Application for Assessment Relief.
- The deadline for applications is June 1, 2016. The Assessment Appeals Committee will consider requests for deadline extensions. Any parish granted an extension must submit all materials no later than June 1, 201.
- Once materials from all appealing congregations have been received the Assessment Appeals Committee will set a date to meet with congregational representatives. The committee will then make recommendations to Executive Council, which has the authority to make decisions on assessment relief.
Please contact Chip Larrimore with any questions about the assessment appeals process or guidelines. If you really want to apply for assessment relief, but don’t think your congregation meets the guidelines the assessment appeals committee especially encourage you to contact them so the committee can assist you in determining if an application is appropriate. The process is open to all parishes, regardless of size. The guidelines are firm and will be applied equally to all congregations.
This information, including Assessment Appeals Guidelines as approved by Executive Council and Application for Assessment Relief, can be found on the DioCal website, www.diocal.org, under “Resources” then “Finance and Operations” then “Assessment Appeals.”
The Rev. Chip Barker Larrimore
Executive Council Chair
Christ Episcopal Church
70 Santa Rosa Avenue
Sausalito, CA 94965